welcome to our College

In 1954, Professor J. C. Ghosh, the then Vice-Chancellor of Calcutta University, surveyed the available higher educational facilities in North 24 Parganas. The survey revealed that facilities were inadequate for the huge influx of refugees in the area. Professor Ghosh stressed the immediate necessity of setting up at least six colleges for male and female students in the suburbs of Kolkata in order to cope with the growing demand for college education in both humanities and sciences. He further suggested that these six colleges should be established and financed by the Central Relief and Rehabilitation Ministry, Government of India. Soon after, Dr. B. C. Roy, the then Chief Minister of West Bengal, took up the proposal with the Government of India, which was accepted by the Central Relief and Rehabilitation Ministry. The Ministry agreed to set up six colleges in and around Kolkata and bear the financial commitments as well.

The College was thus established in Bon-Hooghly in the year 1956 as one of the colleges under this scheme with the aim of providing higher education, and was named after BrahmanandraKesab Chandra Sen, the great socio-religious reformer of the country, during Renaissance. Initially the college was housed at SagarDutta Free High School, Kamarhati and later moved to its own present premises in 1957. This college, a UGC registered college (under 2f and 12B) is one of the premier institutes in North 24 parganas. Initially affiliated to the University of Calcutta, the college has now been affiliated to West Bengal State University, Barasat from the session 2008-2009.

“His life was a pilgrimage of extraordinary faith, which made him trust in the infinite mercy of God in the darkest hour of love, which bequeathed him charity and compassion, and purity, which kept the lustre of his private life, undimmed to the last”- Sunity Devi (Educationist and daughter of Keshab Chandra Sen)
One of the leading intellectuals of the nineteenth century Bengal, a period popularly referred to as the Bengal Renaissance, Keshab Chandra Sen was born on 19th of November, 1838 to Peary Mohan Sen and Saradasundari Devi.
Belonging to a Hindu family, Keshab Chandra Sen was educated in a humanist tradition. It is this education that saw him inculcating the Unitarian thought of Parker, Newman and Emerson. In 1857, he joined the newly established socio- religious movement, the BrahmoSamaj and soon became its intellectual voice. Working with the ideas of egalitarianism and rationalism, this movement drew on the basic ideas of Christianity, Islam and Hinduism to create a casteless, forward moving society that would be devoid of social evils. Despite their difference in ideas, Sri Ramkrishna and keshab Chandra Sen were friends and mutual admirers.
Keshab Chandra Sen provided an able leadership to this movement and worked not only in the field of religious reform but also in the areas of women’s education and widow remarriage. His oratory and missionary zeal earned him laurels. Debendranath Tagore referred to him as ‘Brahmananda’. In 1865, Keshab Chandra Sen broke away from the BrahmoSamaj establishing and creating a separate unit within the BrahmoSamaj, BharatbarshiyaBrahmoSamaj . In 1862, he helped found the Albert College and wrote articles for the Indian Mirror, a weekly journal of the Calcutta BrahmoSamaj in which he wrote profusely on religious, moral and social issues of the day. He worked at the act that legalized contract marriages in 1872. He later pioneered SulabhSamachar, Dharma Tattawa and Paricharika.In 1881 he officially instituted NabaBidhan (New Dispensation), based on syncretism, embracing all space and all time. Keshab Chandra Sen breathed his last on the 8th of January 1884.