Eligibility Criteria: B.Sc (Hons) in Botany / Graduation in Life Science.
Intake capacity: 10 seats
Coordinator: Dr. Sangita Gangopadhyay, Associate Professor of Botany
Syllabus: PG syllabus of West Bengal State University
1) Cytogenics& Plant Tissue Culture
2) Plant Physiology, Bio-chemistry and Plant Molecular Biology
3) Biosystematics & Biodiversity Conservation
4) Phycology & Advanced Biotechnology
1.Well-equipped laboratories to cater to the demand of Post Graduate courses; facilities of carrying out Plant Tissue Culture, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Plant Physiology, Biochemistry, Cytology and all courses of PG Botany.
2. Separate Class room with all modern facilities.
3. Facility of Seminar Library
4. Facility of dissertation/ project work under special paper, assistance by Boost-Program, DBT, Govt. of West Bengal
5. Computer with internet facility for students
6. Teaching through audio-visual aids used for ICT based techniques
1. The Department had organized local field excursion to Diseased crop field at Bidhan Chandra Krishi Viswavidyalaya, Kalyani, West Bengal in the session 2017-18.
2. The Department has organized long field excursion to Vizag-Araku Valley, Vishakhapattanam, Andhra Pradesh in the session 2017-18.
3. The Department has created a Herbarium of Flora collected during excursions from local and other phytogeographical zones.
4. It also conducts Students' Seminars and Project Assignments on syllabus topics.
5. A campus Green Audit for angiospermic herbs was carried out by PG Botany Sem-II students on 2nd February, 2018.
1. Broad outline of Angiosperm Phylogeny Group (APG) III, 2009.
2. Bioindicator and biomarkers of environmental health.
3. Genetics and reproductive biology of fern, polyploidy, apomixes and hybridization.
4. Evolution of pollination mechanism & embryogeny of Gymnosperms with reference to Ginkgoales and Gnetales.
5. Nomenclature and reconstruction in fossil plants with examples.
6. Application of neopalynology and palaeopalynology.
7. Host pathogen interaction, recognition, mechanism and signal transduction during plant pathogen interaction.
8. Fungicides- inorganic and organic protectants, systemic fungicides and their mode of action.
Special grants from WB DBT for developing research facility
The Department of Botany has received funding from the Department of Biotechnology, Government of West Bengal to set up a Biotechnology Laboratory with all the necessary equipments. This will enable the college to conduct full time Biotechnology classes with the assistance of the programme BOOST (Biotechnology Opportunities Offered to Science and Technology). This Laboratory will be utilized as Central Instrumentation Centre for all the Life Science Departments.
||Faculty Researcher and Department
||Title of research project
||Total grant sanctioned Rs.
||Total grant received till date Rs.
|| Papia Chakraborti, Botany
|| West Bengal , Department of Biotechnology
|| BOOST-I (Biotechnology Opportunities Offered for Science And Technology)
|| 20 lacs
|| Papia Chakraborti, Botany
|| Phycodiversity of the Bon-Hooghly Lake and Adjoining Water Bodies in Kolkata- Status and its Potential Implications
|| 13.7 lacs
• Project Fellow under UGC Major Project:
1. Mr. Deepanjan Mridha
(From Jan, 2016 – May, 2017)
2. Ms. Vaswati Chattopadhyay
( From Nov., 2017 – till date)
• Summer internship facility available for students/researchers